[openstack-dev] [kolla] Announcing k3 release of Kolla

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Tue Mar 24 15:26:01 UTC 2015

Hello,

The Kolla community is pleased to announce the release of Kilo #3 of the Kolla project.  It is available for immediate download from: https://github.com/stackforge/kolla/archive/k3.tar.gz

This version removes Kubernetes entirely as a development environment.  We found we needed super-privileged containers to properly deploy OpenStack.  As a result we are now using docker-compose.  The heat-community is in the process of producing a resource for managing oocker-compose components.  This should permit the integration of Kolla with third party tools that use Heat for deployment.  Alternatively docker-compose can be used directly.

To get started, read the quickstart guide:
    https://github.com/stackforge/kolla/blob/master/docs/developer-env.md

This version allows the starting of a full container on bare-metal deployment.  The tools/start script will deploy a working deployment of:

  *   mariadb

  *   rabbitmq

  *   keystone

  *   glance-api and glance-registry

  *   nova-api, nova-conductor, and nova-scheduler

  *   libvirt, nova-compute, nova-network

  *   heat-api and heat-engine

  *   Horizon

This version of Kolla uses OpenStack Legacy networking called nova-network. Make sure to edit the /tools/genev and supply the correct device name (i.e. eth1) for the interface used by nova-network's FLAT_INTERFACE. For more on Nova networking, please refer to: http://docs.openstack.org/juno/install-guide/install/yum/content/section_nova-networking.html

New Features

  *   A new implementation based upon super-privileged containers

  *   Docker-compose has replaced kubernetes as the deployment tool

  *   Documentation for starting a development environment

  *   Documentation for integrating with Kolla

  *    Improved parameterization of OpenStack configuation files.

Quickstart:

  *   Run tools/genenv.sh to generate your environment variables

  *   Source your credentials (openrc), which will be added kolla/ directory

  *   Install the openstack clients on your host

  *   Test out individual services:

  *   $ keystone user-list

Please give it a run today and provide your feeedback!

Regards,
- The Kolla Core Team