[openstack-dev] [oslo.config][kolla] modular backends for oslo.cfg

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Tue Mar 24 10:40:52 UTC 2015

On 19/03/15 13:31 +0100, Chmouel Boudjnah wrote:
>Hello,
>
>While on a long oversea flight with Sebastien Han we were talking how he had
>implemented ceph-docker with central configuration over etcd. We quickly came
>up to the conclusion that if we wanted to have that in Kolla it would be neat
>if it was done straight from oslo.config so that would quickly override the
>default keys in a central point.
>
>There is multiple advantage to use that method not just for containers but as
>well to avoid issues when orchestrating an openstack deployment.
>
>I have heard arguments that this should be the job of an ansible/puppet/chef
>tool and while I completely agree I just don't think it has to write to files
>the tool would just write to the etcd database.
>
>I have quickly came up with a quick and dirty POC on oslo.cfg here :
>
>https://github.com/chmouel/oslo.config/commit/
>01ee54dd5219b1434eaac422055b58e77694d89f
>
>and the demo :
>
>https://gist.github.com/chmouel/05fb715f96344161268c
>
>What others thinks about it ?

IIRC, we had a talk about this in the past but it didn't go anywhere.
I personally like the idea and I believe it'd be useful for other
deployments too.

>I believe if we wanted to do that we would have to add a stevesdor based
>modular backend support directly to oslo.cfg first and have an etcd backend
>implemented.

+1

This however won't remove the need of a config file. For instance,
plugins like etcd's will need the host/port options to be set
somewhere - or passed as a cli parameter.

Flavio