[openstack-dev] Cinder Third-Party CI: what next? (was Re: [cinder] Request exemption for removal of NetApp FC drivers (no voting CI))

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 08:06:52 UTC 2015

On 23 March 2015 at 22:50, Mike Perez <thingee at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've talked to folks at the OpenStack foundation to get feedback on my
> communication, and was told this was good, and even better than previous
> communication to controversial changes.
>
> I expected nevertheless people to be angry with me and blame me regardless
> of
> my attempts to help people be successful and move the community forward.

As somebody who has previously attempted to drive 3rd party CI in Cinder
forward and completely burnt out on the process, I have to applaud Mike's
efforts. We needed a line in the sand to force the issue, or we were never
going to get to 100% coverage of drivers, which was what we desperately
needed.

For those who've have issues getting CI to be stable, this is a genuine
reflection of the stability of Openstack in general, but it is not
something we're going to be able to make progress on without CI systems
exposing problems. That's the entire point of the 3rd party CI program - we
knew there were bugs, stability issues and drivers that just plain didn't
work, but we couldn't  do much about it without being able to test changes.

Thanks to Mike for the finally push on this, and to all of the various
people in both cinder and infra who've been very active in helping people
get their CI running, sometimes in very trying circumstances.

--
Duncan Thomas