[openstack-dev] [api][neutron] Best API for generating subnets from pool

Kevin Benton blak111 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 22:23:17 UTC 2015

How would you represent that you want the last address in a /26 network if
you don't know what address range you are getting? 0.0.0.63? That seems
pretty confusing when the resulting address turns out to be 192.168.10.191.

>It isn't a new concept to think about the network and host parts of an IP
address separately.

Definitely, but with small subnets like the example above, it is impossible
to know the absolute numbers for the host portion of the address.

It's about setting the right expectation for the caller. Specifying
'0.0.0.63' implies the caller is going to get something back that ends in
'63', which is only true some of the time. By using 'ip_index', I was
trying to convey that you are getting something counted from the start of
whatever is chosen, rather than getting a specific address ending.

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 11:25 AM, Carl Baldwin <carl at ecbaldwin.net> wrote:

> An integer index doesn't do it for me.  Maybe I'm the only one.
>
> It is part of an IP address.  It isn't a new concept to think about
> the network and host parts of an IP address separately.  Why would we
> change the notation from dotted quad (ipv4) to integer just because we
> mask out the network part?  Am I alone in this?
>
> Carl
>
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 3:34 PM, Kevin Benton <blak111 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > What if we just call it 'address_index' and make it an integer
> representing
> > the offset from the network start address?
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 12:39 PM, Carl Baldwin <carl at ecbaldwin.net>
> wrote:

> >> It isn't a valid *IP* address without the network part.  However, it
> >> can be referred to as the "host address on the network" or the host
> >> part of the IP address.
> >>
> >> Carl

> > --
> > Kevin Benton