[openstack-dev] [Neutron][IPv6] Prefix delegation and user facing API thoughts

John Davidge (jodavidg) jodavidg at cisco.com
Mon Mar 23 18:04:16 UTC 2015

Going forward, I think the best approach for PD would be to align with the
subnet-pools being added by the subnet allocation BP work (thanks to Sean
for bringing this to our attention again).

http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/neutron-specs/specs/kilo/subnet-alloca
tion.html#rest-api-impact

The above blueprint outlines an admin-configurable global default pool to
be used in the case of a user calling subnet-create without specifying a
CIDR or subnet-pool ID. If the OpenStack environment has been made
PD-capable by the operator (a PD-server has been setup), this default
could be set in such a way to indicate that PD should be used. This would
give the user a hassle-free workflow and avoids overloading api
attributes. It also has the added benefit of not allowing the user to
request a PD-defined CIDR in an environment that isn¹t PD-capable.

If anyone has any concerns/comments about such an approach I¹d be happy to
hear them. I¹ll be keeping my eye on the subnet allocation patches as they
are merged so we can align our patch as soon as it¹s feasible.

Cheers,

John