[openstack-dev] [nova] how to handle vendor-specific API microversions?

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Mon Mar 23 14:26:41 UTC 2015

On 03/21/2015 12:12 PM, Joe Gordon wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 8:31 AM, Monty Taylor <mordred at inaugust.com
> <mailto:mordred at inaugust.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 03/21/2015 01:21 AM, Chris Friesen wrote:
>     > Hi,
>     >
>     > I've recently been playing around a bit with API microversions and I
>     > noticed something that may be problematic.

<snip>

>     > The issue is that it doesn't allow for OpenStack providers to add their
>     > own private microversion(s) to the API.  They can't just bump the
>     > microversion internally because that will conflict with the next
>     > microversion bump upstream (which could cause problems when they upgrade).

>     I would vote that we not make this pleasant or easy for vendors who are
>     wanting to add a feature to the API. As a person who uses several clouds
>     daily, I can tell you that a vendor chosing to do that is VERY mean to
>     users, and provides absolutely no value to anyone, other than allowing
>     someone to make a divergent "differentiated" fork.
>
>     Just don't do it. Seriously. It makes life very difficult for people
>     trying to consume these things.
>
>     The API is not the place for divergence.
>

> In fact we have made vendorization of the API hard on purpose, see the
> microversion spec for details: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/127127

Thanks for the information and the link.  I didn't see anything in the document
itself--didn't realize I should have looked at the review as well.

I wonder if it might make sense to explicitly state this in the microversion
documentation (along with the information about suggested ways of dealing with
the issue).

Chris