[openstack-dev] [nova] Revert "objects: introduce numa topology limits objects"

Dan Smith dms at danplanet.com
Mon Mar 23 14:06:14 UTC 2015

> I am really sorry it got in as I have -1ed it several times for the same
> reason (I _really_ hate using the -2 hammer - we're all adults here
> after all).

I guess that I should take some blame as a reviewer on that patch, but
only after this mail do I read some of your comments as fundamentally
opposed. The one that really articulates it wasn't a new vote so it
stood out even less. IMHO, -2 is precisely for "This shouldn't land as
it is" so would have been completely appropriate for this situation.
It's a meaningful signal and has nothing to do with the age of the
participants.

> My reasoning for it is quite simple and is outlined in the revert patch
> commit message:
>
>   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/166767/
>
> The reason for bringing this up on the email thread is that as a result
> we need to downgrade the RPC that has technically been released (k-3).
>
> Let me know what you think.

I don't think we should revert it. Doing so will be quite messy. I think
we have a couple of options:

1. Leave it as-is. Especially since we are able to synthesize the old
call when necessary, it seems clear that we haven't lost any information
here. We deal with it, roll forward and fix it in L.

2. We add to the object, essentially deprecating the ratio fields that
you feel are problematic, and pass the data that you really want. That
way we have a small window of compatibility that we can drop after we
snap kilo.

#1 requires no work now, but more work later; #2 requires quite a bit of
work now, which might be scary, but makes life easier in the long run.

Given where we are, and since I don't really see this as a
sky-is-falling sort of thing, I think I'd err on the side of caution and
go with #1. A flat-out revert either requires us to ban an RPC version
(something we've never done, AFAIK) or just flat out roll back time and
pretend it never happened.

--Dan