[openstack-dev] [api][neutron] Best API for generating subnets from pool

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 19:09:49 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 2:05 PM, Carl Baldwin <carl at ecbaldwin.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 12:58 PM, Dean Troyer <dtroyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> > So do a CIDR host address:  0.0.0.1/24 can be merged into a subnet just
> as
> > easily as it can be masked out.
>
> Dean, I'm not sure what you're suggesting.  Are you suggesting that
> 0.0.0.1/24 is suitable as a template for the gateway?  If so, that is
> what I had originally proposed in the spec and what others seemed to
> object to.
>
> Maybe what others didn't like was that a template was passed in for
> gateway_ip.  In this case, does passing a template like this as
> 'gateway_ip_template' make them feel better?

Template is totally the wrong word.  It is a host address without a
network.  The prefix is there for the same purpose, to OR it back into a
network address.

I just want us to stop inventing things that already exist.  You want to
specify the gateway IP, to get that you need a network address, presumably
to be allocated somewhere and a host address.  OR them together and you
have an IP address.

dt

--

Dean Troyer