[openstack-dev] [Keystone][FFE] - Reseller Implementation

Geoff Arnold geoff at geoffarnold.com
Fri Mar 20 18:43:47 UTC 2015

Glad to see this FFE. The Cisco Cloud Services team is very interested in the Reseller use case, and in a couple of possible extensions of the work. http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/keystone-specs/specs/kilo/reseller.html <http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/keystone-specs/specs/kilo/reseller.html> covers the Keystone use cases, but there are several other developments required in other OpenStack projects to come up with a complete reseller “solution”. For my information, has anyone put together an overarching blueprint which captures the top level Reseller use cases and identifies all of the sub-projects and their dependencies? If so, wonderful. If not, we might try to work on this in the new Product Management WG.

I mentioned “extensions” to http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/keystone-specs/specs/kilo/reseller.html <http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/keystone-specs/specs/kilo/reseller.html> . There are two that we’re thinking about:
- the multi-provider reseller: adding the user story where Martha buys OpenStack services from two or more
  providers and presents them to her customers through a single Horizon instance
- stacked reseller: Martha buys OpenStack services from a provider, Alex, and also from a reseller, Chris, who
  purchases OpenStack services from multiple providers

In each case, the unit of resale is a “virtual region”: a provider region subsetted using HMT/domains, with IdP supplied by the reseller, and constrained by resource consumption policies (e.g. Nova AZ “foo” is not available to customers of reseller “bar”).

I strongly doubt that any of this is particularly original, but I haven’t seen it written up anywhere.

Cheers,

Geoff Arnold
Cisco Cloud Services
geoarnol at cisco.com <mailto:geoarnol at cisco.com>