[openstack-dev] [designate] Designate performance issues

stanzgy stan.zgy at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 09:59:23 UTC 2015

Hi Graham, thanks for your suggestion. But in fact the initial import was a
simple while-curl scripts with no concurrency.
With this script, a request will not be sent unless previous one gets
reponse from designate-api. So I think it's not the rate of initial
importing but the number of records that matters.

I have filed this bug with detailed error logs here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/designate/+bug/1434479

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 9:59 PM, Hayes, Graham <graham.hayes at hp.com> wrote:

> On 03/19/2015 07:41 AM, stanzgy wrote:
> > Hi all. I have setup kilo designate services with powerdns backend and
> mysql innodb storage in a
> single node.
> > The services function well at first. However, after inserting 13k A
> records via API  within 3 domains (5k, 5k, 3k for each), the service
> stops working.
> >
> > designate-api returns 500 and many RPCs timeout
> > designate-central takes 100% cpu, seems trying hard updating domains
> but failed
> > designate-mdns also takes 100% cpu, flooded with "Including all
> tenants items in query results" logs
> > powerdns gets timeout errors during AXFR zones
> >
> > The server doesn't seem to turn any better after suffering in this
> state for hours. What I could do to recover the service is to cleanup
> databases and restart the service.
> >
> > My question is:
> > 1. Is it not recommended to create too many records in a single domain?
> > 2. Any suggestions to improve this situation?
> >
> > --
> > Best Regards,
> >
> > Zhang Gengyuan
> <http://www.hp.com/>
>
>  First off, for that initial burst of activity, I would disable debug
> level logging.
>
> How did you try and add them? Was it via a calling the API as fast as
> possible until it fell over?
> I would recommend rate limiting the initial import if it was.
>
> Do you have any logs from the services?
>
> Graham

Best Regards,

Zhang Gengyuan