[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Let's stick to OpenStack global requirements

Dmitry Borodaenko dborodaenko at mirantis.com
Thu Mar 19 18:10:48 UTC 2015

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 3:16 AM, Roman Prykhodchenko <me at romcheg.me> wrote:
>> I'm not sure it's good idea.
>> We should stay so close to upstream distro as we can. It should be
>> very important reason to update package against it's upstream distro
> The issue is the following: OpenStack’s components are tested against those versions of dependencies, that are specified in their requirements. IIRC those requirements are set up by pip so CI nodes contain latest versions of python packages that match their specs.
>
> The question is whether it’s required to ship OpenStack services with packages from a distro or with packages, that are used for testing.

Dmitry has raised a valid point: when the base distro already has a
package that satisfies both Fuel and OpenStack global requirements, we
should keep that package even if a more recent version is available
from PyPi.

I think this rule fits fine within the general frame of Roman's proposal:

- if the base distro already has a package that satisfies OpenStack
global requirements (or Fuel requirements), the distro package is
used;
- else, OSCI mirror should contain the maximum version of a
requirement that matches its version specification.

-DmitryB