[openstack-dev] [puppet] Release management and bug triage

Colleen Murphy colleen at puppetlabs.com
Tue Mar 17 20:46:06 UTC 2015

Comments inline.

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 12:22 PM, Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wanted to start the discussion here about our bug/release management
> system with Launchpad.
>
> A first question that comes in my mind is: should we continue to manage
> every Puppet module in a different Launchpad project? Or should we
> migrate all modules to a single project.
>
> So far this is what I think about both solutions, feel free to comment:
>
> "Having one project per module"
> Pros:
> * Really useful when having the right tools to manage Launchpad, and
> also to manage one module as a real project.
> * The solution scales to the number of modules we support.
>
> Cons:
> * I think some people don't go on Launchpad because there is so many
> projects (one per module), so they did not subscribe emails or don't
> visit the page very often.
> * Each time we create a module (it's not every day, I would say each
> time a new OpenStack project is started), we have to repeat the process
> for a new launchpad project.

I don't think this is that big a hurdle, and it doesn't happen often.

> "Having everything in a single project"
> Pro:
> * Release management could be simpler

What would be simpler? We'd still need to track releases of each module, as
not all of them always get released at the same time.

> * A single view for all the bugs in Puppet modules

You can view all the bugs in the openstack-puppet-modules top-level project
https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-puppet-modules

> * Maybe a bad idea, but we can use tags to track puppet modules issues
> (ie: puppet-openstacklib whould be openstacklib)
>
> Con:
> * The solution does not scale much, it depends again at how we decide to
> make bug triage and release management;
>
> Also, feel free to add more concerns or feedback to this discussion.

I don't have strong feelings either way, but I'm not sure I see the current
way as broken enough to change. There is a top-level project for these
subprojects (https://launchpad.net/openstack-puppet-modules). You can
create a bug for one project and then add other projects to the bug, so
having one ticket that links to multiple modules is possible.