[openstack-dev] [Neutron] IPAM reference driver status and other stuff

Carl Baldwin carl at ecbaldwin.net
Tue Mar 17 13:44:57 UTC 2015

On Mar 15, 2015 6:42 PM, "Salvatore Orlando"
> * the ML2 plugin overrides several methods from the base "db" class. From
what I gather from unit tests results, we have not yet refactored it. I
think to provide users something usable in Kilo we should ensure the ML2
plugin at least works with the IPAM driver.

Yes, agreed.

> * the current refactoring has ipam-driver-enabled and
non-ipam-driver-enabled version of some API operations. While this the less
ugly way to introduce the driver and keeping at the same time the old
logic, it adds quite a bit of code duplication. I wonder if there is any
effort we can make without too much yak shaving to reduce that code
duplication, because in this conditions I suspect it would a hard sell to
the Neutron core team.

This is a good thing to bring up.  It is a difficult trade off.  On one
hand, the way it has been done makes it easy to review and see that the
existing implementation has not been disturbed reducing the short term
risk.  On the other hand, if left the way it is indefinitely, it will be a
maintenance burden.  Given the current timing, could we take a two-phased
approach?  First, merge it with duplication and immediately create a follow
on patch to deduplicate the code to merge when that is ready?

Carl