[openstack-dev] [nova] what is our shipped paste.ini going to be for Kilo

Ken'ichi Ohmichi ken1ohmichi at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 01:27:15 UTC 2015

> [...]
>
>> Drop of /v1.1 ?
>> ---------------
>>
>> Only new deploys are really going to base off of our in tree
>> config. I'm not convinced that we want to encourage people setting up
>> new /v1.1 endpoint in tree.
>>
>> I'm not convinced there is a deprecation path here because the ones I
>> could imagine would involve people changing their paste.ini to include
>> a deprecation checking piece of code.
>>
>> Honestly, I don't care strongly either way on this one. It's cruft,
>> but not dangerous cruft (unlike v3).
>
> +1
>
> Lets drop the cruft now. People who feel they need it can add it back.
>
>> Nova v2
>> =======
>>
>> This is where things get interesting.
>>
>> v2.1 is supposed to be equivalent to v2. The difference is moving the
>> validation for datastructures from the database to the wsgi layer. The
>> ways in which this doesn't react like the existing APIs should be
>> basically not letting you create corrupt data models which will
>> explode later in unexpected and hard to determine ways. The reality is
>> objects validation has been sneaking this in all along anyway.
>>
>> The full monty approach
>> -----------------------
>>
>> [composite:osapi_compute]
>> use = call:nova.api.openstack.urlmap:urlmap_factory
>> /: oscomputeversions
>> /v1.1: openstack_compute_api_v2
>> /v2: openstack_compute_api_v21
>> # starting in Kilo the v21 implementation replaces the v2
>> # implementation and is suggested that you use it as the default. If
>> # this causes issues with your clients you can rollback to the
>> # *frozen* v2 api by commenting out the above stanza and using the
>> # following instead::
>> # /v2: openstack_compute_api_v2
>> # if rolling back to v2 fixes your issue please file a critical bug
>> # at - https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bugs
>>
>> This would make the v2 endpoint the v21 implementation for new
>> deploys. It would also make it easy for people to flip back if they
>> hit an edge condition we didn't notice.
>>
>> In functional testing we'd still test both v2 and v2.1
>>
>> Tempest would move to v2.1 by default, and I think we should put an
>> old v2 job on nova stable/kilo -> master to help us keep track of
>> regressions.
>
> If all the current popular SDKs can talk to v2.1 and v2 without
> noticing, then I think its likely to be fine to do this in general.
> Given my affiliation, this is the list I care about the most:
> https://developer.rackspace.com/sdks/
>
> I had assumed we would wait till Liberty to do something like this.
>
> I am worried about SDKs making requests that have additional JSON
> attributes that were previously ignored by v2, but will be considered
> invalid by the v2.1 validation code. If we were to just strip out the
> extra items, rather than error out the request (when you don't specify
> a microversion), I would be less worried about the transition. Maybe

Nice point.
That is a main difference in API behaviors between v2 and v2.1 APIs.
If SDKs pass additional JSON attributes to Nova API now, developers
need to fix/remove these attributes because that is a bug on SDKs
side.
These attributes are unused and meaningless, so some APIs of SDKs
would contain problems if passing this kind of attributes.

Sometime it was difficult to know what are available attributes before
v2.1 API, so "The full monty approach" will clarify problems of SDKs
and make SDKs' quality better.

Thanks
Ken Ohmichi

---