[openstack-dev] [Heat][Nova] volumes handling on AWS Instance suspend/resume/delete

Pavlo Shchelokovskyy pshchelokovskyy at mirantis.com
Fri Mar 13 14:22:38 UTC 2015

Hi all,

as I am removing scheduler tasks from server resources, I have the
following question:

in OS Server resource on suspend/resume/delete we do not care about
attached volumes. In fact Nova keeps them attached to the suspended
instance (volumes are in 'in-use' state) and after server resume they are
still attached to the server without any additional steps. On server delete
Nova again detaches all the volumes automatically.

On the other hand, in AWS Instance resource we manually detach volumes on
delete/suspend and reattach them on resume. What's the point of that? Is it
for some compatibility with instance+volumes behavior in real AWS or some
leftover from earlier Nova days?

An advice from anyone with AWS experience would be appreciated, as if it is
not for compatibility sake, I would gladly remove that seemingly
unnecessary logic.

Best regards,

Pavlo Shchelokovskyy
Software Engineer