[openstack-dev] [all] Do we need release announcements for all the things?

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Mar 13 10:57:37 UTC 2015

Clint Byrum wrote:
> I spend a not-insignificant amount of time deciding which threads to
> read and which to fully ignore each day, so extra threads mean extra
> work, even with a streamlined workflow of single-key-press-per-thread.
>
> So I'm wondering what people are getting from these announcements being
> on the discussion list. I feel like they'd be better off in a weekly
> digest, on a web page somewhere, or perhaps with a tag that could be
> filtered out for those that don't benefit from them.

The first value of a release announcement is (obviously) to let people
know something was released. There is a bit of a paradox there with some
announcements being posted to openstack-announce (in theory low-traffic
and high-attention), and some announcements being posted to
openstack-dev (high-traffic and medium-attention). Where is the line drawn ?

The second value of a release announcement is the thread it creates in
case immediate issues are spotted. I kind of like that some
python-*client release announcements are followed-up by a "this broke
the world" thread, all in a single convenient package. Delaying
announcements defeats that purpose.

We need to adapt our current (restricted) usage of openstack-announce to
a big-tent less-hierarchical future anyway: if we continue to split
announcements, which projects are deemed "important enough" to be
granted openstack-announce access ?

Personally in the future I'm not opposed to allowing any "openstack"
project (big-tent definition) to post to openstack-announce (ideally in
a standard / autogenerated format) with reply-to set to openstack-dev.
We could use a separate list, but then release and OSSA announcements
are the only thing we use -announce for currently, so I'm not sure it's
worth it.

So I'm +1 on using a specific list (and setting reply-to to -dev), and
I'm suggesting openstack-announce should be reused to avoid creating two
classes of deliverables (-announce worthy and not).

Posting on -dev with a subject prefix would only marginally improve the
situation (release announcements are already pretty easy to spot and
manually filter out), so I'm +0 on that.

Weekly posts or ratelimiting would imho remove 99% of the interest of
release announcements, so I'm -1 on that solution.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)