[openstack-dev] [all] Do we need release announcements for all the things?

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Thu Mar 12 23:22:56 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Jeremy Stanley's message of 2015-03-12 13:58:20 -0700:
> On 2015-03-12 13:22:04 -0700 (-0700), Clint Byrum wrote:
> [...]
> > So I'm wondering what people are getting from these announcements
> > being on the discussion list.
> [...]
>
> The main thing I get from them is that they're being recorded to a
> (theoretically) immutable archive indexed by a lot of other systems.
> Some day I'd love for them to include checksums of the release
> artifacts and be OpenPGP-signed by a release delegate for whatever
> project is releasing, and for those people to also try to get their
> keys signed by one another and members of the community at large.

I had not considered the value of that, but it seems like a good thing.

> Sure, we could divert them to a different list (openstack-announce
> was suggested in another reply), but I suspect that most people
> subscribed to -dev are also subscribed to -announce and so it
> wouldn't effectively decrease their E-mail volume. On the other
> hand, a lot more people should be subscribed to -announce so that's
> probably a good idea anyway?

openstack-announce would be the opposite of less impact on the signal
to noise ratio for anyone who does want to see them. I prioritize
openstack-announce since I would assume announcements would mostly be
important things reserved for a low-traffic list.

So I think a tag seems like a reasonable way to keep them on the list,
but allow for automated de-prioritization of them by those who don't
want to see them.

Could we maybe have a [release] tag mandated for these?