[openstack-dev] [Glance] Experimental API

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 19:35:14 UTC 2015

On 03/12/2015 01:19 PM, Sampath, Lakshmi wrote:
> We had a discussion with API WG today about what it means to be an "EXPERIMENTAL API" and here's the takeway from that discussion.

All experimental means with regards to an API is "we reserve the right
to completely abandon this or change it in backwards compatible ways".

> - API's can be experimental, but mark it clearly in the docs as such

Sure.

> - Experimental means a breaking change may be introduced
> - Use /x1/ instead of /v1/  in the endpoint.

-1 on using "x1". I don't see the point, honestly. Code (in clients)
doesn't know or care whether there is a difference in compatibility
guarantee between "x1" and "v1". Humans do. Leave it up to the
documentation to mark some API as experimental and just use /v1

Best,
-jay