[openstack-dev] Deprecation warnings considered harmful?

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Mar 12 16:48:00 UTC 2015

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015, at 05:24 AM, Duncan Thomas wrote:
> ubuntu at devstack-multiattach:~/devstack$ cinder-manage db sync
> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/oslo_db/_i18n.py:19:
> DeprecationWarning: The oslo namespace package is deprecated. Please use
> oslo_i18n instead.
>   from oslo import i18n
> /opt/stack/cinder/cinder/openstack/common/policy.py:98:
> DeprecationWarning:
> The oslo namespace package is deprecated. Please use oslo_config instead.
>   from oslo.config import cfg
> /opt/stack/cinder/cinder/openstack/common/policy.py:99:
> DeprecationWarning:
> The oslo namespace package is deprecated. Please use oslo_serialization
> instead.
>   from oslo.serialization import jsonutils
> /opt/stack/cinder/cinder/objects/base.py:25: DeprecationWarning: The oslo
> namespace package is deprecated. Please use oslo_messaging instead.
>   from oslo import messaging
> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/oslo_concurrency/openstack/common/fileutils.py:22:
> DeprecationWarning: The oslo namespace package is deprecated. Please use
> oslo_utils instead.
>   from oslo.utils import excutils

Yay, the system is working as designed!

Oslo "froze" early to prepare releases to integrate with the downstream
projects. You found an issue and reported it. Dims and others worked on
patches, and we're releasing new versions. All before your feature
freeze, so you can adopt them.

> What are normal, none developer users supposed to do with such warnings,
> other than:
> a) panic or b) Assume openstack is beta quality and then panic

Next time, please try to be less snide. It makes it difficult to take
you seriously.

Doug