[openstack-dev] Deprecation warnings considered harmful?

John Griffith john.griffith8 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 09:56:46 UTC 2015

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 3:41 AM, Boris Bobrov <bbobrov at mirantis.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 12 March 2015 12:24:57 Duncan Thomas wrote:
> > ubuntu at devstack-multiattach:~/devstack$ cinder-manage db sync
> > /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/oslo_db/_i18n.py:19:
> > DeprecationWarning: The oslo namespace package is deprecated. Please use
> > oslo_i18n instead.
> >   from oslo import i18n
> > /opt/stack/cinder/cinder/openstack/common/policy.py:98:
> DeprecationWarning:
> > The oslo namespace package is deprecated. Please use oslo_config instead.
> >   from oslo.config import cfg
> > /opt/stack/cinder/cinder/openstack/common/policy.py:99:
> DeprecationWarning:
> > The oslo namespace package is deprecated. Please use oslo_serialization
> > instead.
> >   from oslo.serialization import jsonutils
> > /opt/stack/cinder/cinder/objects/base.py:25: DeprecationWarning: The oslo
> > namespace package is deprecated. Please use oslo_messaging instead.
> >   from oslo import messaging
> >
> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/oslo_concurrency/openstack/common/fi
> > leutils.py:22: DeprecationWarning: The oslo namespace package is
> > deprecated. Please use oslo_utils instead.
> >   from oslo.utils import excutils
> >

> > What are normal, none developer users supposed to do with such warnings,
> > other than:
> > a) panic or b) Assume openstack is beta quality and then panic
>
> Non developer users are supposed to file a bug, leave installation and
> usage
> to professional devops who know how to handle logs or and stop using non-
> stable branch.
>
> ​I think the problem is that in some cases (particularly those being
emitted from oslo libs) this doesn't really make sense for anybody outside
of project dev team.  In other words, packaged and released but the message
is there; there's nothing the Operator or anybody at that point is going to
do about it.

This may or may not have anything to do with stable branch.  I think it's a
valid point that some messages like the one pointed out by Duncan are
perhaps not really great to have in the release code.  Whether it
could/should be tied to something like the existing debug or verbose flags
in the conf files, or even a new item like "dev level logging"?

Maybe not a terribly big deal, but I can see the point being made with
respect to the impression it gives etc.
​