[openstack-dev] [kolla] about the image size

Andre Martin Martin.Andre at KVHasia.com
Thu Mar 12 01:46:48 UTC 2015

> On Mar 12, 2015, at 04:08, Steven Dake (stdake) <stdake at cisco.com> wrote:
>

> On 3/10/15, 12:22 AM, "Bohai (ricky)" <bohai at huawei.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi, stackers
>>
>> I try to use the Kolla Images and pull them down from docker hub.
>> I found the size of the image is bigger than what I thought(for example,
>> the images of docker conductor service is about 1.4GB).
>>
>> Is it possible to get a more smaller images.
>> Do we have the plan to minimize the images.
>>
>> Best regards to you.
>> Ricky
>>

> The images are quite large mainly because the base Fedora 20 image is very
> large.  There are centos images available for download which average bout
> 750MB/per.

It is worth noting that the image size is less problematic when all your images are using on the same base image. Then only the delta is downloaded, and not the whole 1.4GB.

As far as I know there is no immediate plan to reduce the base image size. Steve will correct me if I’m wrong.

I am myself experimenting with a different approach to build docker images based on tripleo image elements, and I get smaller images, for example for a Fedora 20 based keystone image that is 1.325 GB in kollaglue registry, I’m down to 1.049 GB, and I’m even down to 465 MB for the same image based on Debian unstable.

Regards,
Martin

> Regards
> -steve

"PLEASE NOTE:  This email,  and  any  attachments  hereto,  are
intended only  for use  by the specified addressee(s)  and  may
contain legally privileged and/or confidential and/or proprietary
information of KVH Co., Ltd.  and/or its affiliates  (including
personal information).  If you are not the intended recipient of
this email, please immediately notify the sender by email,  and
please permanently  delete the original,  any print out and any
copies of the foregoing. "