[openstack-dev] [Neutron][IPAM] Uniqueness of subnets within a tenant

John Belamaric jbelamaric at infoblox.com
Wed Mar 11 16:37:51 UTC 2015

Here is a compromise option. The pluggable IPAM will be optionally enabled
in Kilo. We could introduce the restriction, but only when pluggable IPAM
is enabled. Support for having a tenant with overlapping IP space, along
with pluggable IPAM would wait until Liberty, when we can fully implement
the "address scope" concept. This concept was discussed during the spec
reviews of pluggable IPAM, and is simply adding a first-class object that
represents a layer 3 address space. A subnet would belong to a specific
scope, and any IP within a scope would be unique. To support the tenant
with overlapping space, you would create multiple scopes for that tenant.

This option maintains backward compatibility for existing deployments,
while allowing us to improve the model moving forward.

John