[openstack-dev] Avoiding regression in project governance

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Tue Mar 10 19:30:54 UTC 2015

On 10/03/15 12:29, Russell Bryant wrote:

> I feel that we're at a very vulnerable part of this transition.  We've
> abolished the incubation process and integrated release.  We've
> established a fairly low bar for new projects [2].  However, we have not
> yet approved*any*  tags other than the one that reflects which projects
> are included in the final integrated release (Kilo) [3].  Despite the
> previously discussed challenges with the integrated release,
> it did at least mean that a project has met a very useful set of
> criteria [4].
>
> We now have several new project proposals.  However, I propose not
> approving any new projects until we have a tagging system that is at
> least far enough along to represent the set of criteria that we used to
> apply to all OpenStack projects (with exception for ones we want to
> consciously drop).  Otherwise, I think it's a significant setback to our
> project governance as we have yet to provide any useful way to navigate
> the growing set of projects.

I appreciate the concerns here, but I'm also uncomfortable with having
an open-ended hold on making projects an official part of OpenStack.
There are a lot of projects on StackForge that are by any reasonable
definition a part of this community, it seems wrong to put them on
indefinite hold when the Big Tent model has already been agreed upon.

Here is a possible compromise: invite applications now and set a fixed
date on which the new system will become operational. That way it's the
TC's responsibility to get the house in order by the deadline, rather
than making it everyone else's problem. If we see a wildly inappropriate
application then that's valuable data about where the requirements are
unclear. To avoid mass confusion in the absence of a mature set of tags,
I think it's probably appropriate that the changes kick in after the
Kilo release, but let's make it as soon as possible after that.

cheers,
Zane.