[openstack-dev] Avoiding regression in project governance

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Mar 10 18:57:51 UTC 2015

On 2015-03-10 14:42:18 -0400 (-0400), Russell Bryant wrote:
[...]
> As to specific tags, I refer back to this:
>
> http://governance.openstack.org/reference/incubation-integration-requirements.html
>
> We worked pretty hard to come up with useful things for projects
> to aim for. In fact, we considered it a minimum. Let's make sure
> we capture the things we still value, which I believe is most of
> it.
[...]

Coming from a "horizontal" resource and facilitation perspective, we
previously had guidelines like these to help prioritize where effort
is focused. I was hoping that most of the incubation requirements
would become tags in some form so that support decisions could still
be made based on them. Otherwise I worry we're stuck relying on tags
which merely declare the set of projects each horizontal team has
chosen as a priority (in situations where there are ongoing demands
on team members available time to help those specific projects).

Yes, horizontal teams should provide the means for OpenStack
projects to support themselves where possible, but some activities
do not scale linearly and do necessitate hard support decisions.
Guidance from the community as to where it's most effective to spend
those limited resources is appreciated, and also increases the
chances that in those situations the prioritized subset overlaps
substantially between various limited resources (which provides a
more consistent experience and helps set expectations).
--
Jeremy Stanley