[openstack-dev] Avoiding regression in project governance

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Mar 10 18:43:10 UTC 2015

Joe Gordon wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 9:29 AM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com
> <mailto:rbryant at redhat.com>> wrote:
>>     We now have several new project proposals.  However, I propose not
>>     approving any new projects until we have a tagging system that is at
>>     least far enough along to represent the set of criteria that we used to
>>     apply to all OpenStack projects (with exception for ones we want to
>>     consciously drop).  Otherwise, I think it's a significant setback to our
>>     project governance as we have yet to provide any useful way to navigate
>>     the growing set of projects.
>
> I don't follow this argument.
>
> My understanding is no tags will be required to join 'OpenStack,' they
> are just optional things for projects to try to achieve once they are
> in. So holding off accepting new projects for something that is not
> required during the adding new projects process seems odd.
>
> Perhaps a better way to say the same thing is: While working with the
> tagging system to come up with a good set of tags to represent our
> previous graduation requirements, we may want to adjust the new project
> requirements[0].
>
> [0] governance.openstack.org/reference/new-projects-requirements.html
> <http://governance.openstack.org/reference/new-projects-requirements.html>

I totally agree with you. Project team additions are judged on the new
projects requirements. Tagging are just about describing them once they
are in. I suspect most people advocating for a freeze are actually
wanting extra rules to be added to the new project requirements (think:
diversity). We said at the TC that we would refine those requirements as
we go and learn... So slowly processing applications sounds like a
better way to make fast iterative progress than freezing altogether.

I /think/ Russell's point is that we'd end up adding not-yet-categorized
stuff in the tent and that might create temporary confusion -- I tend to
think that freezing project addition is actually more detrimental.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)