[openstack-dev] [Magnum][Heat] Expression of Bay Status

Hongbin Lu hongbin034 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 15:21:40 UTC 2015

Hi Adrian,

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 6:53 PM, Adrian Otto <adrian.otto at rackspace.com>
wrote:

> Magnum Team,
>
> In the following review, we have the start of a discussion about how to
> tackle bay status:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/159546
>
> I think a key issue here is that we are not subscribing to an event feed
> from Heat to tell us about each state transition, so we have a low degree
> of confidence that our state will match the actual state of the stack in
> real-time. At best, we have an eventually consistent state for Bay
> following a bay creation.
>
> Here are some options for us to consider to solve this:
>
> 1) Propose enhancements to Heat (or learn about existing features) to emit
> a set of notifications upon state changes to stack resources so the state
> can be mirrored in the Bay resource.

A drawback of this option is that it increases the difficulty of
trouble-shooting. In my experience of using Heat (SoftwareDeployments in
particular), Ironic and Trove, one of the most frequent errors I
encountered is that the provisioning resources stayed in deploying state
(never went to completed). The reason is that they were waiting a callback
signal from the provisioning resource to indicate its completion, but the
callback signal was blocked due to various reasons (e.g. incorrect firewall
rules, incorrect configs, etc.). Troubling-shooting such problem is
generally harder.