[openstack-dev] [nova][api] Microversions. And why do we need API extensions for new API functionality?

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 19:43:35 UTC 2015

On 03/09/2015 07:32 AM, Christopher Yeoh wrote:
<snip>
> So the first thing I think we want to distinguish between plugins
> being a REST API user or operator concept and it being a tool
> developers use as a framework to support the Nova REST API. As I've
> mentioned before I've no problem with the feature set of the API
> being fixed (per microversion) across all Nova deployments. Get back
> to me when we have consensus on that and its trivial to implement and
> we'll no longer have the concept of core andextension/plugin.

Why are we continuing to add API extensions for new stuff?

> But plugin like implementations using Stevedore as a tool for developers
> to keep good modularity has proven to be very useful to keep complexity
> level lower and interactions between modules much clearer.

Uhm, I beg to differ. The "plugin" implementation using Stevedore has
made things way more complicated than they need to be.

It would be much simpler to have a single directory call
/nova/api/openstack/compute/ with modules representing each resource
collection controller.

 > servers.py is
> an example of this where in v2 I think we have/had the most complex
> method and even with all the fix up work which has been done on it it is
> still very complicated to understand.

It doesn't *need* to be more complicated. The microversions framework
decorators allow us to encapsulate the differences between microversions
for a particular method.

Best,
-jay