[openstack-dev] [horizon] Do No Evil

Radomir Dopieralski openstack at sheep.art.pl
Mon Mar 9 13:52:43 UTC 2015

On 03/09/2015 01:59 PM, Michael Krotscheck wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 8, 2015 at 3:21 PM Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org
> <mailto:zigo at debian.org>> wrote:
>

>     Anyway, you understood me: please *never* use this Expat/MIT license
>     with the "The Software shall be used for Good, not Evil." additional
>     clause. This is non-free software, which I will *never* be able to
>     upload to Debian (and Canonical guys will have the same issue).
>

> So, to clarify: Does this include tooling used to build the software,
> but is not shipped with it? I suppose a similar example is using GCC
> (which is GPL'd) to compile something that's Apache licensed.

To clarify, we are not shipping jshint/jslint with horizon, or requiring
you to have it in order to run or build horizon. It's not used in the
build process, the install process or at runtime. The only places where
it is used is at the developer's own machine, when they install it and
run it explicitly, to check their code, and on the gate, to check the
code submitted for merging. In either case we are not distributing any
software, so no copyright applies.

One could argue that since the review process often causes a lot of
stress both to the authors of the patches and to their reviewers, and so
in fact we are using the software for evil...

We are working on switching to ESLint, not strictly because of the
license, but simply because it seems to be a better and more flexible
tool, but this is not very urgent, and will likely take some time.

--
Radomir Dopieralski