[openstack-dev] [horizon] Do No Evil

Mike Bayer mbayer at redhat.com
Sun Mar 8 17:34:39 UTC 2015

Ian Wells <ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk> wrote:

> With apologies for derailing the question, but would you care to tell us what evil you're planning on doing?  I find it's always best to be informed about these things.

All of us, every day, do lots of things that someone is going to think is
evil. From eating meat, to living various kinds of lifestyles, to supporting
liberal or conservative causes, to just living in a certain country, to
using Windows or other “non-free” operating systems, to top-posting, makes
you evil to someone; to lots of people, in fact. This is why a blanket
statement like “do no evil” is pretty much down to two choices, A. based on
some arbitrary, undefined notion of “evil” in which case nobody can use the
software, or B. based on the user’s own subjective view of “evil” which
means the phrase is just a humorous frill. Maybe authors add this phrase as
a means to limit the use of their software only to those communities where
such a statement is patently ridiculous (e.g., not publicly held
corporations).

but also given that “evil” can be almost anything, I don’t think it’s reasonable
that users would have to report on their intended brand of “evil”.