[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Lets keep our community open, lets fight for it

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Sun Mar 8 12:50:31 UTC 2015

On 18/02/15 10:07 -0500, Doug Hellmann wrote:

>On Wed, Feb 18, 2015, at 05:40 AM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 09:29:19AM -0800, Clint Byrum wrote:
>> > Excerpts from Daniel P. Berrange's message of 2015-02-17 02:37:50 -0800:

>> > Shaming a person is a last resort, when that person may not listen to
>> > reason. It's sometimes necessary to bring shame to a practice, but even
>> > then, those who are participating are now draped in shame as well and
>> > will have a hard time saving face.
>>
>> This really isn't about trying to shame people, rather it is about
>> having accountability in the open.
>>
>> If the accusations of running private IRC channels were false, then
>> yes, it would be an example of shaming to then publicise those who
>> were accused.
>>
>> Since it is confirmed that private password protected IRC channels
>> do in fact exist, then we need to have the explanations as to why
>> this was done be made in public. The community can then decide
>> whether the explanations offered provide sufficient justification.
>> This isn't about shaming, it is about each individual being able
>> to decide for themselves as to whether what happened was acceptable,
>> given the explanations.
>
>Right. And Stef is pulling that information together from the
>appropriate sources. Sometimes it's easier to have those sorts of
>conversations one-on-one than in a fully public forum. When we have the
>full picture, then will know whether further action is needed (I hope
>the team decides to close down the channel on their own, for example).
>In any case, we will publish the facts. But let's give Stef time to work
>on it, first.

Hi All,

I'm pretty sure this was discussed already in a TC meeting, which I
did not attend unfortunately. In the spite of keeoing things open -
not only the issues but also the solutions found - would someone from
the TC (or Stefano) mind highlighting what the resolution for this
issue is?

I don't think there's a great solution for the per-project
organizational issues other than recommending people to work in the
open and having the community fighting for it. However, I do expect
there to be a solution for the secret channel, which by the way still
exists.

Thank you all for participating in this discussion,
Flavio