[openstack-dev] [neutron] VXLAN with single-NIC compute nodes: Avoiding the MTU pitfalls

Fredy Neeser Fredy.Neeser at solnet.ch
Fri Mar 6 17:01:08 UTC 2015

Hello world

I recently created a VXLAN test setup with single-NIC compute nodes
(using OpenStack Juno on Fedora 20), conciously ignoring the OpenStack
advice of using nodes with at least 2 NICs ;-) .

The fact that both native and encapsulated traffic needs to pass through
the same NIC does create some interesting challenges, but finally I got
it working cleanly, staying clear of MTU pitfalls ...

I documented my findings here:

   [1]
http://blog.systemathic.ch/2015/03/06/openstack-vxlan-with-single-nic-compute-nodes/
   [2]
http://blog.systemathic.ch/2015/03/05/openstack-mtu-pitfalls-with-tunnels/

For those interested in single-NIC setups, I'm curious what you think
about [1]  (a small patch is needed to add "VLAN awareness" to the
qg-XXX Neutron gateway ports).

While catching up with Neutron changes for OpenStack Kilo, I came across
the in-progress work on "MTU selection and advertisement":

   [3]  Spec:
https://github.com/openstack/neutron-specs/blob/master/specs/kilo/mtu-selection-and-advertisement.rst
   [4]  Patch review:  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/153733/
   [5]  Spec update:  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/159146/

Seems like [1] eliminates some additional MTU pitfalls that are not
addressed by [3-5].

But I think it would be nice if we could achieve [1] while coordinating
with the "MTU selection and advertisement" work [3-5].

Thoughts?

Cheers,
- Fredy

Fredy ("Freddie") Neeser