[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Issue when upgrading from Juno to Kilo due to agent report_state RPC namespace patch

Assaf Muller amuller at redhat.com
Thu Mar 5 16:58:49 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> To turn this stuff off, you don't need to revert.  I'd suggest just
> setting the namespace contants to None, and that will result in the same
> thing.
>
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/neutron/tree/neutron/common/constants.py#n152
>
> It's definitely a non-backwards compatible change.  That was a conscious
> choice as the interfaces are a bit of a tangled mess, IMO.  The
> non-backwards compatible changes were simpler so I went that route,
> because as far as I could tell, rolling upgrades were not supported.  If
> they do work, it's due to luck.  There's multiple things including the
> lack of testing this scenario to lack of data versioning that make it a
> pretty shaky area.
>
> However, if it worked for some people, I totally get the argument
> against breaking it intentionally.  As mentioned before, a quick fix if
> needed is to just set the namespace constants to None.  If someone wants
> to do something to make it backwards compatible, that's even better.

I sent out an email to the operators list to get some feedback:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-operators/2015-March/006429.html

And at least one operator reported that he performed a rolling Neutron upgrade
from I to J successfully. So, I'm agreeing with you agreeing with me that we
probably don't want to mess this up knowingly, even though there is no testing
to make sure that it keeps working.

I'll follow up on IRC with you to figure out who's doing what.