[openstack-dev] [all] SQLAlchemy performance suite and upcoming features (was: [nova] blueprint about multiple workers)

Mike Bayer mbayer at redhat.com
Wed Mar 4 22:30:49 UTC 2015

Mike Bayer <mbayer at redhat.com> wrote:

> Attila Fazekas <afazekas at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wonder what is the planned future of the scheduling.
>>
>> The scheduler does a lot of high field number query,
>> which is CPU expensive when you are using sqlalchemy-orm.
>> Does anyone tried to switch those operations to sqlalchemy-core ?
>
> An upcoming feature in SQLAlchemy 1.0 will remove the vast majority of CPU
> overhead from the query side of SQLAlchemy ORM by caching all the work done

Just to keep the Openstack community of what’s upcoming, here’s some more detail
on some of the new SQLAlchemy performance features, which are based on the
goals I first set up last summer at https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/OpenStack_and_SQLAlchemy.

As 1.0 features a lot of new styles of doing things that are primarily in
the name of performance, in order to help categorize and document these
techniques, 1.0 includes a performance suite in examples/ which features a
comprehensive collection of common database idioms run under timing and
function-count profiling. These idioms are broken into major categories like
“short selects”, “large resultsets”, “bulk inserts”, and serve not only as a
way to compare the relative performance of different techniques, but also as
a way to provide example code categorized into use cases that illustrate the
variety of ways to achieve that case, including the tradeoffs for each,
across Core and ORM. So in this case, we can see what the “baked” query
looks like in the “short_selects” suite, which times how long it takes to
perform 10000 queries, each of which return one object or row:

https://bitbucket.org/zzzeek/sqlalchemy/src/cc58a605d6cded0594f7db1caa840b3c00b78e5a/examples/performance/short_selects.py?at=ticket_3054#cl-73

The results of this suite look like the following:

test_orm_query : test a straight ORM query of the full entity. (10000 iterations); total time 7.363434 sec
test_orm_query_cols_only : test an ORM query of only the entity columns. (10000 iterations); total time 6.509266 sec
test_baked_query : test a baked query of the full entity. (10000 iterations); total time 1.999689 sec
test_baked_query_cols_only : test a baked query of only the entity columns. (10000 iterations); total time 1.990916 sec
test_core_new_stmt_each_time : test core, creating a new statement each time. (10000 iterations); total time 3.842871 sec
test_core_reuse_stmt : test core, reusing the same statement (but recompiling each time). (10000 iterations); total time 2.806590 sec
test_core_reuse_stmt_compiled_cache : test core, reusing the same statement + compiled cache. (10000 iterations); total time 0.659902 sec

Where above, “test_orm” and “test_baked” are both using the ORM API
exclusively. We can see that the “baked” approach, returning column tuples
is almost twice as fast as a naive Core approach, that is, one which
constructs select() objects each time and does not attempt to use any
compilation caching.

For the use case of fetching large numbers of rows, we can look at the
large_resultsets suite
(https://bitbucket.org/zzzeek/sqlalchemy/src/cc58a605d6cded0594f7db1caa840b3c00b78e5a/examples/performance/large_resultsets.py?at=ticket_3054).
This suite illustrates a single query which fetches 500K rows. The “Baked”
approach isn’t relevant here as we are only emitting a query once, however
the approach we use to fetch rows is significant. Here we can see that
ORM-based “tuple” approaches are very close in speed to the fetching of rows
using Core directly. We also have a comparison of Core against raw DBAPI
access, where we see very little speed improvement; an example where we
create a very simple object for each DBAPI row fetched is also present to
illustrate how quickly even the most minimal Python function overhead adds
up when we do something 500K times.

test_orm_full_objects_list : Load fully tracked ORM objects into one big list(). (500000 iterations); total time 11.055097 sec
test_orm_full_objects_chunks : Load fully tracked ORM objects a chunk at a time using yield_per(). (500000 iterations); total time 7.323350 sec
test_orm_bundles : Load lightweight "bundle" objects using the ORM. (500000 iterations); total time 2.128237 sec
test_orm_columns : Load individual columns into named tuples using the ORM. (500000 iterations); total time 1.585236 sec
test_core_fetchall : Load Core result rows using fetchall. (500000 iterations); total time 1.187013 sec
test_core_fetchmany_w_streaming : Load Core result rows using fetchmany/streaming. (500000 iterations); total time 0.945906 sec
test_core_fetchmany : Load Core result rows using Core / fetchmany. (500000 iterations); total time 0.959626 sec
test_dbapi_fetchall_plus_append_objects : Load rows using DBAPI fetchall(), generate an object for each row. (500000 iterations); total time 1.168365 sec
test_dbapi_fetchall_no_object : Load rows using DBAPI fetchall(), don't make any objects. (500000 iterations); total time 0.835586 sec

An ongoing document of new SQLAlchemy 1.0 features, performance
enhancements, and behavior-changing fixes is at
http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/latest/changelog/migration_10.html.