[openstack-dev] [neutron] The future of Xen + OVS support

Maru Newby marun at redhat.com
Wed Mar 4 00:54:12 UTC 2015

> On Mar 3, 2015, at 1:44 PM, Bob Ball <bob.ball at citrix.com> wrote:
>
> We certainly care about this but converting the XenServer CI to Neutron+OVS has been hitting a number of issues (notably a few concurrency ones – although there are a few missing features) that we’ve been trying to sort through.
>
> I am certainly hoping that we’ll have everything stable enough to set up a CI specifically for this combination before the Kilo release and would be very keen not to deprecate XenAPI support in Kilo.
> Certainly even if we don’t make the Kilo release for the CI we will still be pushing for it in L.
>
> Bob

I guess that answers the question of whether anyone cares enough to work on enabling 3rd party CI, and that it may be premature to consider deprecation.

Until CI is live, though, and in the absence of resources committed to fixing breakage when it is detected, I’m not sure it’s reasonable that core reviewers have to consider Xen support in determining whether a patch is ready to merge.  Given that, it’s entirely possible that we’ll end up shipping broken Xen support for kilo, especially given the changes coming to rootwrap and ovs interaction.  Should we as a community consider that acceptable with the hope that fixes will be proposed and backported in a timely-enough fashion?  Or maybe we should consider moving Xen support (which is centered on the ovs agent) out of the tree so that it can be maintained independent of the OpenStack release cycle?

Maru