[openstack-dev] [neutron] The future of Xen + OVS support

Maru Newby marun at redhat.com
Tue Mar 3 20:50:08 UTC 2015

There have been a couple of patches [1] [2] proposed to neutron recently that could impact our support for Xen+OVS, but I don’t see an easy way for us to validate such changes.  I’m not aware of a 3rd party CI job that runs against Xen, and I don’t know of any active contributors able to manually validate changes.  Unless this changes, I think we should consider deprecating support for Xen in kilo.  We can’t afford to block changes for fear of breaking something that nobody seems to care about.

I’m hoping this post serves as a wake-up call to anyone that wants to see neutron maintain its support for Xen, and that they will be willing to devote resources to ensure that support for it continues.  I’ve also added this issue to next week’s irc meeting [3].

Maru

1: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/148969/
2: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/158805
3: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Network/Meetings#On_Demand_Agenda