[openstack-dev] [glance] [trove] [heat] [nova] [all] Handling forwarded requests

Ian Cordasco ian.cordasco at RACKSPACE.COM
Tue Mar 3 17:09:01 UTC 2015

Hey all,

It appears that currently a number of OpenStack services are not
generating version catalogs correctly when the service sits behind a
proxy. (Reference: https://bugs.launchpad.net/glance/+bug/1384379) Glance
already has a fix that was accepted for kilo-1 but it is suboptimal and
assumes there’s only one proxy-address that will forward the request
(which obviously is not true in every case).

There exists RFC 7239 (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7239) which is recent
but defines a “Forwarded” header with explicit parameters that we should
be using. There are also the defacto standards of X-Forwarded-By and
X-Forwarded-Host that we should be inspecting as well.

Currently, Glance’s solution is being copied over to other projects
(Trove, Heat, Nova) and it is clearly suboptimal.

I’m going to work on a more general solution for this, but if anyone can
hammer one out faster, don’t be afraid to submit it. This is absolutely a
bug that should be a high priority for us.

Cheers,
Ian