[openstack-dev] [QA] testing implementation-specific features not covered by OpenStack APIs

Radoslaw Zarzynski rzarzynski at mirantis.com
Tue Mar 3 16:28:02 UTC 2015

As we know Tempest provides many great tests for verification of
conformance with OpenStack interfaces - the tempest/api directory is
full of such useful stuff. However, regarding the #1422728 ticket [1]
(dependency on private HTTP header of Swift), I think we all need to
answer for one single but fundamental question: which interfaces we
truly want to test? I see two options:

1) implementation-specific private interfaces (like the Swift interface),
2) well-specified and public OpenStack APIs (eg. the Object Storage
API v1 [2]).

I think that Tempest should not relay on any behaviour not specified
in public API (Object Storage API v1 in this case). Test for Swift-
specific features/extensions is better be shipped along with Swift
and actually it already has pretty good internal test coverage.

As I already wrote in similar thread regarding Horizon, from my
perspective, the OpenStack is much more than yet another IaaS/PaaS
implementation or a bunch of currently developed components. I think
its main goal is to specify a universal set of APIs covering all
functional areas relevant for cloud computing, and to place that set
of APIs in front as many implementations as possible. Having an
open source reference implementation of a particular API is required
to prove its viability, but is secondary to having an open and
documented API. I am sure the same idea of interoperability should
stand behind Tempest - the OpenStack's Test Suite.

Regards,
Radoslaw Zarzynski

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/tempest/+bug/1422728
[2] http://developer.openstack.org/api-ref-objectstorage-v1.html