[openstack-dev] [Ironic] Adding vendor drivers in Ironic

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Mon Mar 2 08:48:45 UTC 2015

On 02/28/2015 07:28 AM, Ramakrishnan G wrote:

> Hello All,
Hi!

> [...]
> 2) We are adding support for newer models of servers (earlier we use to
> talk to servers in protocol called RIBCL, newer servers we will use a
> protocol called RIS) - We could do this with just 14 lines of actual
> code change in Ironic (this was needed mainly because we didn't think we
> will have to use a new protocol itself when we started) -
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/154403/
>
> Now talking about the advantages of putting hardware-specific code in
> Ironic:
>
> *1) It's reviewed by Openstack community and tested:*
> No. I doubt if I throw in 600 lines of new iLO specific code that is
> here
> (https://github.com/stackforge/proliantutils/blob/master/proliantutils/ilo/ris.py)
> for Ironic folks, they will hardly take a look at it.  And regarding
> testing, it's not tested in the gate unless we have a 3rd party CI for
> it.  [We (iLO drivers) also don't have 3rd party CI right now, but we
> are working on it.]
>
> *2) Everything gets packaged into distributions automatically:*
> Now the hardware-specific code that we add in Ironic under
> drivers/modules/<vendor>/ will get packaged into distributions, but this
> code in turn will have dependencies  which needs to be installed
> manually by the operator (I assume vendor specific dependencies are not
> considered by Linux distributions while packaging Openstack Ironic).
> Anyone installing Ironic and wanting to manage my company's servers will
> again need to install these dependencies manually.  Why not install the
> wrapper if there is one too.
>
> I assume we only get these advantages by moving all of hardware-specific
> code to a wrapper module in stackforge and just exposing some APIs for
> Ironic to use:
> * Ironic code would be much cleaner and easier to maintain
> * Any changes related to your hardware - support for newer hardware, bug
> fixes in particular models of hardware, would be very easy. You don't
> need to change Ironic code for that. You could just fix the bug in your
> module, release a new version and ask your users to install a newer
> version of the module.
> * python-fooclient could be used outside Ironic to easily manage foo
> servers.
> * Openstack CI for free if you are in stackforge - unit tests, flake
> tests, doc generation, merge, pypi release everything handled automatically.
>
> I don't see any disadvantages.
>
> Now regarding the time taken to do this, if you have all the code ready
> now in Ironic (which assume you will already have), perhaps it will take
> a day to do this - half a day for putting into a separate module in
> python/github and half a day for stackforge. The request to add
> stackforge should get approved in the same day (if everything is all-right).
>
> Let me know all of your thoughts on this.  If we agree, I feel we should
> have some documentation on it in our Ironic docs directory.

Thanks for writing this out!

I understand the concern about splitting this community effort, however,
I tend to agree with you. Reviewing vendor-specific code does make me
feel weird: on one hand I do my best to check it, on another - I realize
that I can approve code that has no chances of working just because I
can and will miss some hardware-specific detail.

My biggest concern in making it a rule is support level for this
external code. I'm not questioning quality of proliantutils :) but I can
envision people not putting too much effort into maintaining their 3rd
part stuff. E.g. I already saw 3rd party module that is not even on PyPI
(and does not have any tests). I don't know what to do in this case. Of
course we can say "that's none of our business", but in the end, if
Ironic does not work for their consumers, it's our shared fault.

So in the end, I'm +1 to the procedure itself, but -0 to making it a
rule. But yeah, it's worth discussing. Thanks!