[openstack-dev] [Ironic] Adding vendor drivers in Ironic

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Sun Mar 1 16:45:50 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Gary Kotton's message of 2015-03-01 02:32:37 -0800:
> Hi,
> I am just relaying pain-points that we encountered in neutron. As I have
> said below it makes the development process a lot quicker for people
> working on external drivers. I personally believe that it fragments the
> community and feel that the external drivers loose the community
> contributions and inputs.

I think you're right that this does change the dynamic in the
community. One way to lower the barrier is to go ahead and define the
plugin API very strongly, but then delegate control of drivers in-tree
to active maintainers, rather than in external repositories. If a driver
falls below the line in terms of maintenance, then it can be deprecated.
And if a maintainer feels strongly that they cannot include the driver
with Ironic for whatever reason, the plugin API being strongly defined
will allow them to do so.