[openstack-dev] what code in cinder volume driver supports volume migration between two backends of same type but having different volume types? [cinder]

Avishay Traeger avishay at stratoscale.com
Sun Mar 1 07:40:05 UTC 2015

Nikesh,
The case you are trying is supposed to fail.  You have a volume of type
dothill_realstor1 which is defined to say "this volume must be on backend
DotHill_RealStor1".  This is a requirement that you defined for that
volume.  Now you want to migrate it to realstor2, which is a violation of
the requirement that you specified.  To migrate it, you should change the
volume type (retype), which changes the requirement.

Thanks,
Avishay

On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 11:02 AM, Nikesh Kumar Mahalka <
nikeshmahalka at vedams.com> wrote:

> I tried below link  for volume migration on my driver and also similar
> efforts for LVM.
> Even whatever documents available in openstack for
> volume-migration,each one showing volume migration of a volume having
> volume type None
>
> I added host assisted volume migration function in my cinder driver.
> When i am trying volume migration on a volume without volume type,then
> my volume migration function is getting called and i  am able to do
> volume migration.
>
> But when i am trying volume migration on a volume having volume
> type,then my volume migration function is not getting called.
>

> http://paste.openstack.org/show/183392/
> http://paste.openstack.org/show/183405/
>

> On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 12:31 AM, Nikesh Kumar Mahalka
> <nikeshmahalka at vedams.com> wrote:
> > do cinder retype (v2) works for lvm?
> > How to use cinder retype?
> >
> > I tried for volume migration from one volume-type LVM backend to
> > another volume-type LVM backend.But its failed.
> > How can i acheive this?
> >
> > Similarly i am writing a cinder volume driver for my array and want to
> > migrate volume from one volume type to another volume type for my
> > array backends.
> > so want to know how can i achieve this in cinder driver?
> >

> > Regards
> > Nikesh

*Avishay Traeger*
*Storage R&D*