[openstack-dev] [heat] status of instance_user/admin_user in heat

Matt Fischer matt at mattfischer.com
Tue Jun 30 14:08:01 UTC 2015

Heat devs,

What is the status of the instance_user config option and the corollary
OS::Nova::Server::admin_user field? Our users find it very confusing when
Heat creates a VM with a user called ec2-user. While I've told them to
explicitly set admin_user, the documentation claims its deprecated since
Icehouse. Will it be removed? Along the same lines, instance_user in the
config also claims to be deprecated and slated for removal in Kilo, it is
also still there in master. So what's the right behavior here? Should I
tell heat users that it's safe/recommended to set admin_user or not?