[openstack-dev] [nova] schedule instance based on CPU frequency ?

ChangBo Guo glongwave at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 09:50:42 UTC 2015

> On 06/30/2015 07:42 AM, ChangBo Guo wrote:
> > CPU frequency  is an import performance parameter,  currently  nova
> > drivers just  report cpu_info without frequency.   we stored the compute
> > node cpu_info in database with colum compute_nodes.cpu_info,  we can add
> > the frequency  easily.
> >
> > The usage of  cpu frequency  I  can think is used to schedule to meet
> > applications which need high frequency.  add a frequency based filter ?
> > if we need this , I would like to propose  a spec for this .
> >

> Would it be possible to give more details on the type of app that will
> have this _specific_ requirement.
>
> I don't think I have all the details in my head, but it seems to me that
> the frequency of the hypervisor CPU is just not something that carries
> enough information for users about how most applications will perform. I
> would imagine they would either want "the fastest" or some specialized
> HW for specific applications.
>

> > There are two steps to leverage cpu frequency:
> > 1.  report cpu frequency  and record the value,  nova hypervisor-show
> > will include the value .
> >
> > 2.  filter compute nodes based  cpu frequency.
> >     add a new scheduler filter to do that
> >
> > before I start to do these stuff.  I would like to your  input .
> >
> > Do we need leverage CPU frequency  in Nova ?
> > if yes, do we need a new filter  or  leverage existing filter to use
> > frequency ?
> >

> I don't think we do personally - but I may not understand what problem
> this is trying to solve.
>
> But even if we do - the most important thing IMHO would be _how_ to
> expose it to users (do we allow them to request a minimum frequency, or
> a specific one or something else). API contract is extremely important
> here because we want to make sure that we are exposing the right
> semantics for users - as we would want this to be usable to as big a
> group of people as possible.

 The use case:  user want to integrate hardware management  with api
/os-hypervisors,
  they want to know more details about hardware, so cpu frequency is good
to have.
  so I think if we can provide it to user, we don't change database schema,
just change colume
   compute_nodes.cpu_info, is it that ok ?

> If it's just about having a high performance tier - can we do this with
> host aggregates and flavors? These are the questions we want to answer
> first IMHO.

  yes we can host aggregates to solve the schedule.

> N.
>
> > --
> > ChangBo Guo(gcb)

ChangBo Guo(gcb)