[openstack-dev] [nova] schedule instance based on CPU frequency ?

ChangBo Guo glongwave at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 06:42:01 UTC 2015

CPU frequency  is an import performance parameter,  currently  nova drivers
just  report cpu_info without frequency.   we stored the compute node
cpu_info in database with colum compute_nodes.cpu_info,  we can add the
frequency  easily.

The usage of  cpu frequency  I  can think is used to schedule to meet
applications which need high frequency.  add a frequency based filter ?
if we need this , I would like to propose  a spec for this .

There are two steps to leverage cpu frequency:
1.  report cpu frequency  and record the value,  nova hypervisor-show will
include the value .

2.  filter compute nodes based  cpu frequency.
    add a new scheduler filter to do that

before I start to do these stuff.  I would like to your  input .

Do we need leverage CPU frequency  in Nova ?
if yes, do we need a new filter  or  leverage existing filter to use
frequency ?

--
ChangBo Guo(gcb)