[openstack-dev] [cinder][oslo] Locks for create from volume/snapshot

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Mon Jun 29 17:14:16 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Duncan Thomas's message of 2015-06-29 07:54:27 -0700:
> Do we know what is so hated about the glance task API? Tasks and entity
> queues give the required exclusion, if you accept that tasks can fail if
> previous tasks in the queue can cause things to be pulled out from under it.

What I hate about it is that it doesn't actually work at all.

I recently wrestled with it to try and write functional tests in shade's
gate with devstack, and it was revealed to me that whatever Rackspace's
task interface uses, that was not what is available in glance's trunk.

At the time, Glance used an executor that just spawns a greenthread
on the API request that creates the task, and if it fails, thats it,
game over, the task exists in limbo forever.

So, I would suggest fixing that one before using it as a model for any
others.