[openstack-dev] [Magnum] Continuing with heat-coe-templates

Tom Cammann tom.cammann at hp.com
Mon Jun 29 15:16:24 UTC 2015

Hello team,

I've been doing work in Magnum recently to align our templates with the
"upstream" templates from larsks/heat-kubernetes[1]. I've also been porting
these changes to the stackforge/heat-coe-templates[2] repo.

I'm currently not convinced that maintaining a separate repo for Magnum
templates (stackforge/heat-coe-templates) is beneficial for Magnum or the
community.

Firstly it is very difficult to draw a line on what should be allowed
into the
heat-coe-templates. We are currently taking out changes[3] that introduced
"useful" autoscaling capabilities in the templates but that didn't fit the
Magnum plan. If we are going to treat the heat-coe-templates in that way
then
this extra repo will not allow organic development of new and old container
engine templates that are not tied into Magnum.
Another recent change[4] in development is smart autoscaling of bays which
introduces parameters that don't make a lot of sense outside of Magnum.

There are also difficult interdependency problems between the templates
and the
Magnum project such as the parameter fields. If a required parameter is
added
into the template the Magnum code must be also updated in the same commit to
avoid functional test failures. This can be avoided using "Depends-On:
#xxxxxx"
feature of gerrit, but it is an additional overhead and will require some CI
setup.

Additionally we would have to version the templates, which I assume would be
necessary to allow for packaging. This brings with it is own problems.

As far as I am aware there are no other people using the heat-coe-templates
beyond the Magnum team, if we want independent growth of this repo it
will need
to be adopted by other people rather than Magnum commiters.

I don't see the heat templates as a dependency of Magnum, I see them as
a truly
fundamental part of Magnum which is going to be very difficult to cut
out and
make reusable without compromising Magnum's development process.

I would propose to delete/deprecate the usage of heat-coe-templates and
continue with the usage of the templates in the Magnum repo. How does
the team
feel about that?

If we do continue with the large effort required to try and pull out the
templates as a dependency then we will need increase the visibility of
repo and
greatly increase the reviews/commits on the repo. We also have a fairly
significant backlog of work to align the heat-coe-templates with the
templates
in heat-coe-templates.

Thanks,
Tom