[openstack-dev] Newb looking to contribute

Jeff Learman jeff.learman at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 15:06:49 UTC 2015

I'm an OpenStack newbie, but a seasoned programmer with decades of
experience in data communications (especially IP stack lower layers) and
embedded systems.  I'm fluent in Python, C, C++, and Java.

I'm looking for some pro-bono work to do, and am open to any suggestions,
advice, or pleas for help.  I'll need a bit of mentoring, mostly in terms
of mentioning terms to study up on.

I know about as much about OpenStack as I can learn from the Wikipedia
entry.  I started setting it up on Ubuntu on Cisco UCS for a project where
I worked, but no longer work there.  I don't have any resources other than
a Windows laptop and the Internet, but I could wrestle up an x86-based
Linux box if necessary (not a rack server, though -- low budget, I'd take
an old tower, install a new MOBO, and go from there.)

I'm willing to do tedious grunt work, as long as I'm learning something in
the process (at least, to begin with.)  For example, if there's a desire to
convert to Python 3, that'd be a great way to get involved, learn a lot,
and make a contribution, with minimal deep knowledge required about
OpenStack, and hopefully relatively minimal risk.

Thanks!
Jeff