[openstack-dev] [nova][ceilometer] proposal to send bulk hypervisor stats data in periodic notifications

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Jun 26 19:48:10 UTC 2015

On 6/26/2015 2:17 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:

> On 6/22/2015 4:55 AM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

>>> Dan, is virsh domstats using virConnectGetAllDomainStats?  I have
>>> libvirt
>>> 1.2.8 on RHEL 7.1, created two m1.tiny instances through nova and got
>>> this
>>> from virsh domstats:
>>>
>>> http://paste.openstack.org/show/310874/
>>>
>>> Is that similar to what we'd see from virConnectGetAllDomainStats?  I
>>> haven't yet written any code in the libvirt driver to use
>>> virConnectGetAllDomainStats to see what that looks like.
>>
>> Yes, that's the kind of data you'd expect.
>>

>> Regards,
>> Daniel
>>

> Here is another issue I just thought of.  There are limits to the size
> of a message you can send through RPC right?  So what if you have a lot
> of instances running and you're pulling bulk stats on them and sending
> over rpc via a notification?  Is there the possibility that we blow that
> up on message size limits?
>
> For libvirt/xen/hyper-v this is maybe not a big deal since the compute
> node is 1:1 with the hypervisor and I'd think in most cases you don't
> have enough instances running on that compute host to blow the size
> limit on the message payload, unless you have a big ass compute host.
>
> But what about clustered virt drivers like vcenter and ironic?  That one
> compute node could be getting bulk stats on an entire cloud (vcenter
> cluster at least).
>
> Maybe we could just chunk the messages/notifications if we know the rpc
> message limit?

With respect to message size limit, I found a thread in the rabbitmq
mailing list [1] talking about message size limits which basically says
you're only bounded by resources available, but sending things too large
is obviously a bad idea since you starve the system and can potentially
screw up the heartbeat checking.

The actual 64K size limit I was really thinking of originally was a Qpid
limitation that was fixed in the long long ago by bnemec [2].

So I guess for the purpose of a bulk stats notification, we'd probably
be safe to keep the messages under 64K and just chunk through the list
of instances.

[1]
http://lists.rabbitmq.com/pipermail/rabbitmq-discuss/2012-March/018699.html
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/28711/