[openstack-dev] [neutron] enriching port binding extension API dictionaries with key-values

Kevin Benton blak111 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 17:18:45 UTC 2015

That bug is about adding things that the user can pass to the port. I think
Andreas is just talking about passing data to Nova that his ML2 plugin
generates. The key difference would be that adding key/value pairs to the
port API that the user populates would be exposing implementation details
to users.

An ML2 driver adding data to the binding information that a Nova VIF driver
leverages shouldn't be a problem because the user API interaction wouldn't
change.

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 8:14 AM, Neil Jerram <Neil.Jerram at metaswitch.com>
wrote:

> Hi Andreas,
>
> On 26/06/15 14:04, Andreas Scheuring wrote:
>
>> Hi together,
>> for a new ml2 plugin I would like to pass over some data from neutron to
>> nova on port creation and update (exploiting port binding extension
>> [1]). For my prototype I thought of using one of the following response
>> dictionaries to add my information:
>>
>> - binding:vif_details
>> - binding:profile
>>
>> The API ref describes these attributes (port create / port update - both
>> response) as dictionaries, but without restricting the key-value pairs
>> or naming a defined number [1].
>>
>> I've also seen some other ml2 plugins enriching those fields with unique
>> data. So I assuming this is not considered as an API change, isn't it?
>>
>> Important: It's only about the response. The input comes from a
>> configuration file.
>>

>> Thanks
>>

>> [1] http://developer.openstack.org/api-ref-networking-v2-ext.html
>>

> I think the discussion at [1] is broadly in the same area, so you might
> find some relevant input there.
>
>         Neil
>

> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1460222

Kevin Benton