[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Ceph Public Network Setting

Andrew Woodward awoodward at mirantis.com
Thu Jun 25 19:30:59 UTC 2015

Zhou,

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 8:38 PM Zhou Zheng Sheng / 周征晟 <
zhengsheng at awcloud.com> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> I also notice that in latest ceph-deploy source code, it allows us to
> define public_network and cluster_network argument when calling
> 'ceph-deploy new'. It also checks if monitor IP address is in either of the
> two networks.
>
> https://github.com/ceph/ceph-deploy/blob/master/ceph_deploy/new.py#L158
>
> I'm not sure that Ceph monitor operating in the public network is just an
> artificial requirement, or it's an inherent precondition when they
> implement Ceph and breaking the precondition might lead to some strange
> problems. If it's the latter case, when we change Ceph public network, we
> have to change Ceph monitor IP address configuration at the same time.
>

> on 2015/06/25 11:01, Zhou Zheng Sheng / 周征晟 wrote:
>
> Hello Andrew,
>
> I did some similar modifications in Fuel 6.0 as [1][2]. However in [3] it
> says Ceph monitor have to run on the public network.
>
> It doesn't have to run on fuel public network, ceph's "public" is required
for MONs and OSDs in this case "public" is because it's expected that the
Ceph clients will connect to it. Where "cluster" is used for intra-OSD
communication. We started by assigning Ceph's "public" to Fuel's
"management"("internal" in this scope) and Ceph's "cluster" to Fuel's
"stroage"

> In the file "deployment/puppet/ceph/manifests/conf.pp", we can see it
> calls 'ceph-deploy new ${::hostname}:${::internal_address}'.
> In "deployment/puppet/ceph/manifests/mon.pp", it calls 'ceph-deploy mon
> create ${::hostname}:${::internal_address}'.
>
> Thanks, I thought we removed these codes already and where using the class
entry points, We will fix these as part of the change over.