[openstack-dev] [oslo] About app-agnostic-logging-parameters

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Jun 25 16:03:43 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Fujita, Daisuke's message of 2015-06-25 10:42:05 +0000:
> Hi, Doug Hellmann, and oslo.log team members,
>
> I'm Daisuke Fujita of Fujitsu.
>
> May I ask you about this Blueprint?
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/oslo.log/+spec/app-agnostic-logging-parameters
>
> This patch has been already implemented in master branch of oslo_log.
> But, blueprint status is " Started".
>
> Is this feature already available?

We have started it, but need to ensure that all projects are using the
request class in oslo.context as the base class for their request
contexts, to ensure the API expected by oslo.log is maintained. That
will take some more research to understand how each project is currently
different, and what properties and attributes need to be passed where. I
would welcome help with that work, if you are interested in
participating.

> And, in my understanding it is necessary to add "%resource" to logging_context_format_string(etc) of the config-file when I use this feature.
> Is that correct?

The goal is to set up the default log format string to be the same in
all projects, and have the context class provide application-specific
values. So nova might set an instance as the resource but neutron might
set a network or port as the resource. The deployer would still be able
to rearrange the format string as they want, and always use the name
"resource" in the location where they want the UUID of the thing being
operated on.